Nice to see you here! I’m Cat Knarr, race and religion writer, bookworm, and novelist. I write for publications like Christianity Today, Faithfully, and the Covenant Companion. Right now I’m working on a YA sci-fi novel with Jamie Nunn.
I live in Chicago with my husband, Ben, and our dog, Luna. As a multiracial Christian, I have been drawn to stories about faith, diversity, and justice. Here’s a glimpse of where my journey has taken me.
Where I Studied
I graduated summa cum laude from the University of Missouri School of Journalism. While at Mizzou, I also studied Religious Studies and International Studies with an emphasis in Peace Studies.
My Writing Journey
My journalism background has led me to many powerful stories about race and religion. I’ve reported from…
– Chicago (writing for The Chicago Reporter and UrbanFaith)
– Kigali, Rwanda (writing for Christianity Today magazine)
– Palestine and Israel (writing for the Covenant Companion)
– Brussels, Belgium (actually, I never intended to go to Belgium but you can read what happened in the Covenant Companion)
– Gemena, DR Congo (writing for Covenant Kids Congo)
– Ferguson, Missouri (writing for Christianity Today)
– And of course, my college town of Columbia, Missouri (writing for the Columbia Missourian, Columbia Faith & Values, and Christianity Today).
While studying abroad in Rwanda, I visited local churches and met people who had survived the genocide. I listened to Rwandan Christians share their experiences with trauma and faith, and I wrote an article about the country’s religious transformation for Christianity Today. It was one of the hardest yet most meaningful stories I’ve ever written.
Where It All Began
My interest in religion writing and international news dates back to high school, when I became a contributing writer for CT’s Ignite Your Faith magazine and the global issues blogger for Teen Ink. In college, I quickly picked up the religion beat for our student newspaper The Maneater and later reported on many stories about race or religion for the Columbia Missourian and UrbanFaith.com. I interned for The Chicago Reporter, covering race and criminal justice, and for InterVarsity Press, editing Christian books.
See My Work
Hover over the “Portfolio” tab to read articles I’ve written and see books I’ve edited.